3.14.2015

My first post!

Hey!

I'm back home in Amsterdam for a week now after six weeks of working in Cape Town. I went there last year as well, where I became good friends with my roommate Charelle Schriek, who happens to be Dutch as well. This year we decided to go back to Cape Town together very last minute.. We got sick of the weather in Holland, didn't have much work... so us two Dutchies headed back to the beautiful 'motherland'! 

We arranged a beautiful apartment in Sea Point, overlooking the promenade and the swimming pools. That swimming pool definitely saved our lives on the day that it was 42 degrees.... What was really special is that sometimes you could see whales in the ocean. Not a bad way to wake up with a bowl of oat meal, spotting whales on my balcony in the morning sun. 



On top of Lions Head

Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been; the nature is beyond beautiful with the enormous Table Mountain and the smaller Lions Head, with the city built around it. I climbed Lions Head twice. It only takes about 45 minutes to go to the top. It's a nice workout and it's definitely worth the effort once you reach the top. The view is amazing!


Next to all this fun, I also had to work of course. Every night I got an email from my agency in Cape Town with the schedule for the next day; most of the times it were castings I had to go to and every once in a while I had a job. Every day you basically stroll around the city heading from one casting to another, with nice coffee- and lunchbreaks in between. I hear you think - how do you fill your day with just castings? Well.... mostly there are a lot of models that cast for the same job. And when I say a lot, I mean a LOT. Models spend a lot of time traveling to castings and then wait for their turn to cast. Sometimes you wait for 3 hours for a casting that only needs 1 model for the job..... 

No 91 and 92...
Behind the scenes of one of my jobs


Next to castings and jobs I also arranged some 'tests' with photographers I knew from last year. A test is a shoot where neither the photographer nor the model gets paid for. It is just to update our portfolio, or as we usually call it, our 'book'. It is important to get new material in your book so clients see different, new photos of you. I did a test with Henrik Purienne for example, who you might know. He's a very talented photographer, originally from Cape Town, but travels a lot between Cape Town, LA and Paris. I was lucky enough he was in town when I was there too. See one of our shots here on the left.


Now I'm back in Amsterdam again, preparing for a trip to London. I leave on Monday and I'll stay for about a month, depending on how work is for me there (every city's got a different market). That's the thing with modeling, you never know if you'll work or not. But I'm positive and I'm ready for a new adventure!


x,
Laura.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten